SAFe® Lean Portfolio Management is a two-day interactive course that optionally includes a one-day "Getting Started with LPM" workshop.
In this course, participants will gain the practical tools and techniques needed to implement the three dimensions of LPM: Strategic and Investment Financing, Agile Portfolio Operations, and Lean Governance.
You will learn how to build a modern portfolio management system in line with lean-agile principles. You will gain a good understanding of SAFe® principles, roles, processes, and techniques at the portfolio level. This will enable you to capture the current and future state of your portfolio using the Portfolio Canvas tool and define your portfolio vision. You will learn how to derive key change initiatives (Portfolio Epics) toward achieving this vision. Through hands-on exercises, you will also learn how to ensure the flow of Portfolio Epics using the Kanban Portfolio System and how to prioritize Epics to maximize business value. You will also learn how to create budgets for value streams using "participatory budgeting", how to implement lean budgeting guardrails, and how to measure portfolio performance.
The course is led by a SAFe® Program Consultant (SPC) certified by Scaled Agile, Inc.
The course is interactive, combining official SAFe® training materials, hands-on exercises, and sharing of the trainer's practical experience in implementing SAFe® principles in large companies operating in the Czech Republic.
Participation in the course entitles you to take the globally recognized SAFe® Lean Portfolio Manager (LPM) certification exam; one attempt is included in the course fee.
Taking the certification exam should take place within 30 calendar days of completing the course, in an online form.
Day 1 – 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Introduction to Lean Portfolio Management
- Why LPM?
- Lean-agile mindset and SAFe® principles
- Issues with project financing
- Benefits of organising around value
- SAFe® portfolio structure
- Transition to LPM
- Determining portfolio strategy and vision
- Linking the portfolio to corporate strategy
- Maintaining portfolio vision
- Development of portfolio roadmap
- Implementation of the portfolio vision through Epics
- Defining portfolio Epics
- Estimating portfolio Epics
- SAFe® Lean Startup Cycle
- Introducing investment funding
- Lean budget guardrails
- LPM event overview
- Strategic portfolio review and portfolio sync
- Participatory budgeting
Day 2 – 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Portfolio flow management
- Ensuring flow through the portfolio Kanban system
- Ordering Epics for implementation using WSJF
- Application of agile portfolio operations
- Value stream coordination
- Supporting program execution and operational excellence
- Applying lean governance
- Measuring LPM performance
- Compliance coordination
- TBM with SAFe®
- Capitalising on agile-developed software
- Getting Started with LPM Workshop
- Additional resources on LPM
- How to prepare for the certification exam
Who is the course for:
- Executives and leaders (CIOS, CEOs, CFOs, CTOs and VPs)
- Portfolio managers
- Enterprise architects
- Product and solution managers
- Business Owners
- Programme Office staff
- SPC & agile coaches
- Epic Owners
Everyone is welcome to attend the course regardless of experience. For those wishing to take the SAFe® 5 LPM certification exam, we recommend the following prerequisites:
- Knowledge of agile concepts and principles
- Knowledge of value stream principles
- Knowledge of portfolio management financing models
- Previous participation in a Leading SAFe® or SAFe® POPM course
- Experience working in a SAFe® environment
Milan Drbohlav, Senior Consultant, Agile Coach
Milan is a skilled professional with experience in agile organisation implementation and agile transformation from various industries including automotive and banking.
He has over seven years of experience implementing agile principles in large global companies, working on transformation from project to product management as well as scaling agile principles at both the programme and portfolio level.
Jiří Drbohlav, Senior Consultant, Agile Coach
Jiří is a senior consultant with extensive experience particularly in the banking and manufacturing industry.
As a project manager, he has been involved in a number of projects both strategic (mergers, acquisitions, creation of new business strategies), and business and technical (ERP implementation, technical and business implementation of new GDPR rules, BankID). Over the last five years, he has been concentrating on the implementation of agile principles in large companies, where he has worked in various agile roles, also focusing on training, and sharing know-how in this area.
Date and time: 19. 1. – 20. 1. 2023, 2 days, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Venue: Deloitte, Churchill I, Italská 2581/67, Prague
Registration fee: CZK 27 000 + 21 % VAT, CZK 32 670 incl. VAT